Lemon & Blueberry Layer Cake
This cake to me just screams Spring! The freshness of the lemon and blueberry with the creaminess of the cream cheese just makes me so happy. This cake might look intimidating but it’s really SO easy. Anyone can do it. Plus it looks pretty when you cut into it!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- This cake to me just screams Spring! The freshness of the lemon and blueberry with the creaminess of the cream cheese just makes me so happy. This cake might look intimidating but it’s really SO easy. Anyone can do it. Plus it looks pretty when you cut into it! Ok, let’s get started.
- First thing you want to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the room temperature butter with the granulated sugar and brown sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture looks smooth add the eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Give it another good mix so that everything is combined. You might want to scrape down the sides of the bowl at this point.
- To the wet ingredients add the flour, baking power, and salt. Mix until just combined. I know people get excited when mixing in the flour but the more you mix, the denser the cake will come out and we want this cake as light as possible!
- To the batter add the zest and juice of 3 lemons and give another mix. In a small bowl mix the blueberries with a tablespoon of flour until the berries are coated. This prevents the blueberries from settling in the bottom of the pan when cooking.
- Add the blueberries and fold them into the batter with a spatula, not the electric mixer.
- Evenly distribute the batter into two greased 9 inch cake pans and spread it to ensure even cooking.
- Put the pans into the oven and let them bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven. I checked them at 25 minutes with a cake tester and they were done!
- Take out the cakes and let them cool completely.
- Once the cakes have cooled prepare the frosting. In a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the room temperature cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- To that add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Give it another mix to combine completely.
- Now it’s time to assemble this beautiful cake. On your cake stand add the first layer. If the cake seems very uneven on the top use a serrated knife and cut the top to make it even.
- Evenly cover the top of the cake with frosting before adding the second layer. Once again if it seems uneven cut the top.
- Top the cake with the frosting and then spread it evenly around the sides. This recipe doesn’t make a ton of icing, so don’t be too generous in the middle layer.
- For garnish I like to add fresh blueberries and lemon slices on the top but you can do whatever.
- That’s it! An insanely flavorful and moist cake everyone will go crazy over. Enjoy!