This easy, healthy, and DELICIOUS dinner will quickly become a go-to that you will feel good about eating. They're so satisfying you won't miss the crust. Move over Papa Johns!
Write a review
Quick Tomato Sauce
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- Fresh mozzarella
- Goat cheese
- Chopped sundried tomatoes
- Fresh basil, chopped
- The first thing you want to do is make the tomato sauce. Now, if you don't want to make your own you can just omit the next few steps and use your favorite bottled sauce. However, the homemade stuff is way better!
- In a saucepan over medium high heat add some olive oil and chopped shallots. Let them cook for a minute or two
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and chopped fresh basil. Let it come to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes
- While the sauce is cooking prepare your mushrooms and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Take the portobello mushrooms and gently remove the stem with your fingers. Using a spoon gently scrape away all of the gills of the mushroom and discard them. Take a damp paper towel and wipe the outside of the mushroom, getting rid of any dirt that might be on them. You don't want to wash the mushrooms under running water because they will get soggy... and we don't want that!
- Crumble up a small piece of aluminum foil into a long strip. Take the strip of foil and make it into an O shape and put it on a sheet tray. Put the cleaned mushroom on top of the aluminum O. This is a really great tip to insure your mushroom won't get soggy when baking
- To the inside of the mushrooms add a few tablespoons of the fresh sauce, some mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, pesto, and more chopped basil. Play around with the toppings though... make it your own!
- Put the mushrooms in the oven and let them cook for 12-15 minutes, or until they're bubbling and the mushroom is cooked through
- Take them out and serve hot! Enjoy!
Gourmet With Blakely http://gourmetwithblakely.com/