Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Lattice Pie*
Write a review
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups strawberries, stems off, cut in quarters
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1 egg for the egg wash
- Have you ever been shopping in your grocery store and see that weird pink celery looking stuff and thought... "what am I supposed to do with this?!". Well my friends, this is what you do with it. Rhubarb and strawberry go together like peanut butter and jelly, ham and cheese, popcorn and butter, raspberries and chocolate, ok you get my drift... it's just delicious. Rhubarb is the perfect amount of tart that mixes so well with the perfect amount of sweetness from the strawberries. This pie might take a little longer to make than most but trust me it is totally worth it. You can taste the dedication! The first thing you want to do is make your crust. In a bowl mix together your flour, sugar, and salt. To that add your cold cubed butter and mix with your fingers, breaking down the butter, until it resembles coarse cornmeal. If you have a food processor it will make your life a lot easier, but I don't. Old fashioned way it is! Once your flour mixture is ready add the cold water and stir until it comes all together. Take out of the bowl and divide the dough in half. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. Preheat your oven to 375*F. After and hour or longer of chilling it's time to roll out your dough. I like to roll it in between two pieces of parchment paper sprinkled with flour for easy clean up. Roll out the dough to 1/8 of an inch thick, about a 12 inch circle. Don't worry about it being perfectly round. Transfer one of the rolled out dough to your pie pan and cut off the excess dough on the sides. Put the other rolled out dough on a sheet tray flat. Put both in the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling. In a bowl add your rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour, and pinch of salt. Toss to coat all the fruit with the flour mixture. Add all the fruit to your chilled pie crust. Cut the chilled dough into 1 inch strips. Lay 4 strips of dough going the same way. Fold a small amount of every other piece back, exposing the fruit, and lay a strip across the two and fold back down the dough over it. Fold down the two pieces that you didn't use before exposing the fruit and lay another piece of dough over the two. Keep repeating this step until the entire pie is done. Watch the video for help! Trim the extra pie dough around the edges. Using the extra strips of dough, lay them around the outside of the pie. To crimp the edges hold your thumb and index finger about 1/2 inch apart and press your opposite index finger between them. Crimp all around the crust to make it pretty! Brush the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Put the pie on a sheet pan and put in the oven. Let bake for 80-90 minutes until golden brown. Check the pie about 40-45 minutes minutes into cooking. If you see the crust is getting dark already lightly put a piece of foil over the top. Let the pie cool for about 30 minutes before eating. Get ready for heaven in a pie form.
Gourmet With Blakely http://gourmetwithblakely.com/
What a gorgeous looking pie!!
Looks super good.
Thanks Blakely! Another great video! Keep these videos coming im a slow learner, and your a great teacher! 🙂
The pie looks delish! I would love to try this with fresh peaches. Yum! I was wondering if you’re thinking of doing a cookbook. Your recipes are fantastic!
Yum, one of my faves.
Yum, one of my faves.
Omg omg omg!